Sunday, May 20, 2007

winter series

the last two saturdays have been occupied with the winter series...
12th may:
winds: 4-8 knots NE-SE
current: negligible
race 1: i had a good start leading at mark 1 by abt 4 boat lengths, on the first downwind, i extended my lead to abt 6 boat lengths, on the second upwind i went centre-right and extended my lead to abt 10 boat lengths before the wind died and a freak gust approached on the left, this caused me to drop to 2nd, on the downwind, the wind picked up behind and i dropped further to 4th. the last 2 upwinds was spent trying to catch up, on the last downwind i was leading but forgot to enter thru the gates and lost back to 4th. results: howard 1st, rosemary 2nd, alex 3rd, me 4th, peter 5th.

race 2: the 2nd race saw a bad start but i headed far left to catch the gusts, that helped me catch up to the lead at the top mark by 2 boat lengths. the second upwind saw me maintain my lead and extend it to 5 boat lengths... it finished like that. results: me 1st, alex 2nd, peter 3rd.

at the end of the day i won a bottle of wine for my efforts, i lead the series tied on points with alex.

may 19th
wind: 15-23 knots NW-N
current: weak.
race 3: started horribly, luckily it was 4 short loops, i caught up every upwind and downwind to finish 7th. results: peter 1st, richard 2nd, alex 3rd, me 7th.

race 4: started well, and went further left then everybody else to catch the big gusts, caught up to round the top mark 4th, on the downwind, i caught up by sailing in the gusts and i rounded the bottom mark 3rd, the wind dropped slightly to 12 knots on the second upwind helping me catch up with the top 2. i lost out on the downwind to richard but an incident at the bottom mark helped me to catch up 2 on the final short upwind.results: peter 1st, me 2nd, alex 3rd, richard 4th.

race 5: started very well and controlled the fleet well in the fluctuating winds.. rounded the top mark 1st 6 boat lengths in front of alex. the first downwind saw alex catch up to my tail and she overtook me the following upwind when the wind picked up to 20 knots. i dropped to 3rd although coming close to beating richard at the end: results: alex 1st, richard 2nd, me 3rd

overall:
alex 3 , 2, 3,[3],1 9 pts 1st
peter 5 , 3, 1, 1,[7] 10 pts 2nd
scott 4, 1, [7],2, 3 10 pts 3rd
richard [14],14,2, 4, 2 22 pts 4th
howard 1,[10],8, 10, 4 23 pts 5th

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home